Tuesday, March 3, 2009

YouTube

I'm wondering if YouTube would be a highly used communication channel by M3's target audience? When searching the site, there was no information about tax overaly, and when searching, 'saving money in the stock market,' there were few effective videos. What if M3 created another scripted interview or a message about M3 and its services, such as the one used on Envestnet?

Videos such as this one, (sorry embedded link was unavailable) are short, simple and offer direct messages. Could this be something that would be valuable to M3?

7 comments:

Daisy said...

I don't think that's a bad idea at all, and I would've never thought about that, but I've heard about some companies using youtube as a communication channel.

Justin Meise said...

When examining SEO, you have to remember that there is such a small audience of people looking for this topic, that you can't expect to sell M3 via the web.

As I said before, we have a cure fro a disease people don't know they have.

We are trying to educate the market but it takes time when you ahve a limited budget. So, optimizing for Google isn't as much a red flag as a commentary on a lack of understanding of the topic in the market. Still, we could do more with the site, but we're back to my triage issue.

Youtube is a fun idea and we've talked about it, but have had higher priorities. It's good thinking though.

Laura said...

Maybe YouTube could be used to highlight the problem that people do not know they have. Part of persuasion is establishing a need. Creating a video describing the issue that financial advisors have with capital gains tax and then how M3 can provide a solution could be useful.

I understand that there are things more important to the promotion of M3 but keeping up with technology would be beneficial in the long run.

Justin, you mentioned that you just got the M3 website looking great. Using a video or other web media can draw a bigger crowd to the site.

EPanasci said...

I agree with both Ashley and Laura. I think youtube is a simple and affordable way to promote M3. As Laura mentioned, a better idea could be to post a video about the need for the services of M3, and then suggest M3 as the solution. Focus the video on the need for the services and then mention M3. Even small brand recognitions such as a mention at the end of a youtube video are beneficial.

Sara said...

I also agree with the idea of using YouTube or some kind of web media. Many of the ideas we mentioned have been turned down due to prioritizing. I think that small things like this can still be helpful to the company. YouTube is FREE advertising. Even if only a small amount of the audience we're trying to hit checks this out - it's still something. All I know is that YouTube is cheap and easy (and another great job for interns to do, as I mentioned when commenting on Justin's first response to our ideas.) Maybe it is still worth a shot.

BDePalma said...

Everyone makes very good points about utilizing the free advertising space offered by YouTube. Justin, you have a sound argument and I agree that YouTube might not have a great impact on the people we are necessarily targeting, however, once again, posting a speech from the president of the company, an explanatory video, or simply an advertisement for M3 services can only help increase River Communications exposure in the financial business field. I don't think there is really anywhere for them to go but up because this is a relatively unpopular service. Also, I think that if M3 has its own website, River Communications can post any youtube videos they create as a special link on the site for those individuals looking for that extra edge. Fortunately enough, our generation has the knowledge and ability to use the technology we've grown accustomed to (youtube, blackberry, facebook, linked-in) etc as tools for showing off our critical thinking skills. Older generations such as the one these multi-million dollar clients belong to are usually entertained and impressed by how easily we learn and apply these these new forms of technology to our everyday lives. So, why not impress the M3 target market by adding a little youtube video flare to their website just to show how integrated River Communications really is in today's marketplace? I think at the end of the day, it can only give them more credibility! ....just a suggestion.

Kelli said...

When I looked on youtube for videos about M3 I could not find anything. Financial videos is also not too large of a category. I think that everyone has great suggestions, but I do not feel that youtube would be the best medium to promote the M3 name. I do not believe that the majority of financial advisers look to youtube for advice. While it is cheap and easy, I also think that it would be unnecessary and a waste of time especially on a limited budget.

I do think that uploading more videos onto the actual M3 site would be a great idea though. Interactive elements can increase the amount of time a person spends on the site.